SECOND LEVEL EDUCATIONAL AND VOCATIONAL TRAINING IN PHOTOGRAPHY
The Second level Educational and Vocational Training in Photography course is aimed at training professional photographers in both artistic and technical fields, that are able to project, program and take photographs using analog and digital means as well as carry out post-production work. The job of the photographer takes place, among others, in art, publicity, graphic design, fashion, editorial, documentation and audiovisual production settings. The different modules within the course (Theory of Photography, Projects, History of Photography, Digital media, Audiovisual technology and language, Laboratory, On-the-job training…) combine theory and practice to prepare students for their professional future.
The courses are complemented by lectures, visits to photography studios, practical sessions on the sets and outdoors, exhibitions, etc., among other activities.
The Escola d’Art i Superior de Disseny Serra i Abella, Photography specialism, focuses on training students in both the technical and artistic elements, so as to provide comprehensive vocational training.
The aim of this course is to train students to be able to execute professional photography projects, which implies learning:
- Introduction to the history of Photography.
- How to analyze documents and reference materials of the photographic project.
- Specify the thematic, stylistic and communicative characteristics of a photographic commission based on specifications provided.
- Create original photographic work for a determined professional commission or a personal project.
- Evaluate and integrate informative, identification or persuasive elements into a graphic proposal that adequately communicate the project’s aims.
- Organize and carry out the different stages of a photographic project.
- Advanced studio illumination techniques.
- Post-production techniques: image retouching and treatment.
- Oral project presentation techniques.
- Understanding and applying the legal and regulatory framework that regulates and determines professional activity.
At the end of the course, each student will put together a portfolio with the creative assignments carried out throughout the course.
Fundamentals of visual representation and expression
History of Photography
Photography Projects I
Photographic theory I
Photographic technique I
Photography Projects II
Photographic Theory II
Photographic Technique II
Audiovisual technology and language
Work guidance and training
Practical phase of the course in companies, studios or workshops
Once students have finished the course, they can access other Second Level Educational and Vocational Training courses within the same area so as to broaden their knowledge, such as: Animation, Audio-visual Graphics or Illustration. Students also have access to Higher Education in Graphic Design (equivalent to a University Degree). In all these courses, students can ask that the knowledge they have acquired be RECOGNIZED. The modules that can be recognized depend on the courses the student wants to access.
A Specialist in photography carries out professional jobs, with a mastery of photographic technique and language, with a communicative purpose and intention, within the different fields of photography: advertising, fashion, reportage, photojournalism, scientific photography or others.
Professional photographers work in companies related to visual communication: advertising, publishers, design studios, photography studios, newspapers, cinema and TV.
You can also specialize:
- Graphic coverage of information for different media outlets.
- Social reportage photographer. Documentation of social events and portraits.
- Advertising photographer. Work for publicity agencies, graphic design studios or image banks.
- Fashion photographer. Commissions for designers, manufacturers, distributors and fashion magazines.
- Photographer of architecture and interior design. Editorial, documentation and oeuvre archiving work.
- Artistic photographer. Production of own projects for the commercial art circuit.
- Digital photography post-production.